I'm so excited to have Patty Blount, the author of Send (read my review here) on the blog today!
Stay or Go?
Things change. For some of these changes, we’ll camp out and line up a day in advance just for the chance to say we got it (iPhone, anybody?). And others die a lonely little death and we hardly notice. Here’s my list of the things that should stay and the things I wish would just go.
- · Social networking – My social activities not only planted the seed for a book idea, but connected me to many brilliant people – authors, agents, publishers, editors, celebrities, moms, PEOPLE. That’s the key – it exposed me to different opinions, different belief systems, different lifestyles and opened my mind in the process.
- · Flat Screen TVs – Oh, how much do I love being able to hang a TV on a wall?
- · The surge in popularity of YA fiction – Rowling, Meyer, Collins – It warms my heart to see adults reading young adult fiction and I hope my own book will add to the ranks.
- · GPS – For someone like me who gets lost in a bathtub, the GPS is the most significant technological advancement of my lifetime.
- · On Demand, HBO2Go, and DVR -- I work a nine or ten hour day and then come home and write novels. There is no time for TV. That’s why these VCR-less wonders that let me watch what I want when I want are the BEST.
- · eReaders -- Writers love books. My eReader lets me carry hundreds with me at all times. Plus, it’s a lot easier to turn pages on an eReader when you’re pedaling an elliptical machine than a real book. That encourages me to actually go to the gym.
- · Pants that expose boxers, pants with the crotch down by your knees, baggy pants that hang off your body instead of emphasizing it. I don’t know anybody who finds this sexy so stop. Just stop. Please. I’m begging.
- · Logos on butts – Juicy? Pink? Ladies, guys don’t need another reason to stare at your butt. Really.
- · Fake reality TV shows – please, Dear God, MAKE IT STOP.
- · Teens who sit low in their cars so that it looks like the car is driving itself as they go by.
- · Text slang in spoken conversation.
- · Tebowing – I get that you feel blessed and that’s great. But put it in perspective. I find it kind of insulting that God answered your prayers to score that extra point in a game but ignored the prayers of millions of other people praying for things like cures for terminal illnesses, a place to live or a meal to eat.
What do you think? What fads are you crazy about? What fads are on your Can’t Wait Until They’re Gone list?